You have heard the expression from Shakespeare “all the world’s a stage” – well acting is the one profession we all get to experience no matter what we do for a living. It makes a lot of sense that we can learn a lot from great actors. Let’s consider the personal qualities and techniques they use to connect with their audience and create a lifetime of memorable performances.
Simple Secrets of World Class Actors:
- Show up on time. Get to the theater on schedule. Delays cause tension with the rest of the cast and lead to additional expenses.
- Learn your lines. There is a place in life for rote learning when it comes to mastering basic information. You need a solid foundation before you can add your own embellishments.
- Hire an agent. Partners with the right expertise help you get ahead. Link up with people who can help you find more opportunities and give you objective advice about your career.
- Invite your friends. A packed house looks more impressive. If your building a business, until you get paying clients, find some way to fill those empty seats. Be willing to do the same favor for them.
More Advanced Secrets of World Class Actors:
- Engage in relaxation. The best actors make their work look easy. Manage stress by meditating daily or booking a weekly massage. Exercise on a regular basis and get plenty of good quality sleep.
- Stretch your imagination. Visualize all your possibilities. Look at ordinary things from an unusual angle. The woman next to you on the bus may be a substitute teacher or a space alien.
- Make a commitment. Invest for the long term. Once you get started, see a venture through until its completion.
- Think like a psychologist. Study human behavior. Think about how a person is likely to react in different situations and the motivation behind their choices.
- Explore yourself. Get to know your strengths and weaknesses. Examine the root causes for why you suddenly feel a change in mood or do something unexpected.
- Practice lifelong learning. Be open and eager to embrace new ideas. Take classes, read and talk with people from all walks of life.
- Persevere against all odds. Anticipate the obstacles that may lie ahead. Make plans for how you’re going to face them. Build up a financial nest egg. Develop contingency plans for what to do if your initial approach gets stalled..
- Remain versatile. Be flexible about taking on different roles. Give equal time to all sides of your personality. You may need to make some commercials for laundry detergent before you get the lead part in a Broadway show.
- Believe in yourself. Have faith in your own talents and abilities. Encourage yourself with positive self talk.
- Take risks. Dare to go beyond your comfort zone. Accept roles that will challenge you to confront difficult truths. Personal development requires hard work.
- Share your feelings. Express your emotions. Put your heart into your voice and actions. Allow yourself to care for others and deepen your relationships.
- Rely on a support system. It takes an entire cast to put on a show. Develop a circle of people you can count on for assistance and support. Give generously of your time and resources as well.
- Demonstrate passion. Get fired up about your life. You can express your intense dedication without chewing up the scenery. Be clear about what you want to accomplish and diligent about pursuing your goals.
Acting is a skill we all need to succeed in life. Learn your part and put all your effort into each performance.
Do you practice these “acting” skills in your everyday life? Which ones do you use? Which ones do you think you need to practice more?
Please share your thoughts in the comments box below or join the conversation on social media. Also, share this article with anyone whom you think would benefit from it.
If you haven’t done so already, please be sure to sign up to join our community (It’s Free!!) You will receive news articles inbox each week; have access to our private Facebook community; be subscribed to our “Its.My.Life” Magazine published monthly; receive invitations to webinars on personal development topics with expert guest speakers; access to our free library of self-discovery resources and more…
See larger image