When you look up the word self-esteem in the dictionary it says “a feeling of having respect for yourself and your abilities”. Self-esteem at it’s core is basically having a positive and realistic sense of who you are. You like yourself, understand your strengths, believe in your abilities and recognize the areas where you could use a little more work.
While our childhood experiences and adult interactions often influence the our level of self-esteem, there are things that we can do to boost our confidence. Consider these tips for building your sense of self-worth, and apply them to your own circumstances.
Practice Your Faith
For many of us, our spiritual faith defines who we are and our purpose in life. Let your faith show you how valuable you are, and how precious your life is.
- Meditate and pray. Take some time each day to connect with your higher power. Create a quiet space where you can sit down and still your mind.
- Read inspirational messages. Read a few books by a spiritual leader whom you admire. If you’re looking for new ideas, browse online and ask your friends what they’re reading.
- Discuss your beliefs. Define your thinking and test your theories while talking with others. It will help you deepen your understanding of your faith and uncover how to may put your beliefs into action.
- Embrace your individuality. Your faith will help you to respect your unique gifts and give you the courage to be yourself.
Authenticity is the basis of true confidence.
Appreciate Your Accomplishments
Each action we take either strengthens our self-esteem or tears it down. Learn to make choices that will help you to take care of yourself.
- Make a list. Think about your past achievements and the impressions that they suggest. Maybe you perform well when you work together with others or narrow your focus to a few top priorities.
- Align your actions with your values. Think about what it is that you value and how your actions support your core beliefs. Examine the choices which cause stress or create peace of mind for you.
- Take risks. Feeling confident and courageous allows you to reach beyond your comfort zone. Try out for a part in the next production at your local community theater or volunteer for a tough assignment at work.
- Keep going when faced with obstacles. It’s easy to say you have a goal, however it is often tough to see it through to it’s completion.
High self-esteem helps you to overcome setbacks because you know that you’re worth the effort.
Cultivate Social Support
While we are definitely responsible for cultivating our own self-esteem, our relationships with others play have an influential role. We need to use those relationships to strengthen your belief in yourself.
- Turn to your family. Rely on family rituals that add to your sense of self-worth, and work on changing the dynamics that seem unfavorable. For example, you may decide to hold family meetings so you can agree on house rules and cut down on bickering.
- Deepen your friendships. Are most of your daily interactions about work? Acknowledge your inner thoughts to let others to get to know you and connect on a deeper level.
- Evaluate your romantic life. How you perceive yourself has a big impact on how you handle dating and marriage. Talk with your partner about what you can do to respect each other’s feelings.
- Play with your pet. For a quick fix, look at yourself through your pet’s eyes. Your pet thinks you’re great, so let them teach you to have more compassion for yourself. Many studies show that pet owners tend to have higher self-esteem.
Love and accept yourself for who you are.
As you build your self-esteem and self-confidence you will be more likely to make prudent decisions and fulfill your goals. You’ll know that you are worthy of respect and dignity
In what ways have you struggled with your self-esteem? What do you think contributed to your lack of self-esteem? How have you coped? Please leave your comments below and share your personal stories with us. You may also join the conversation on our private Facebook group as well.
Also, if you have not already done so, please be sure to sign up to join our community (It’s Free!) You will receive articles in your inbox each week; have access to our private Facebook Community; be subscribed to ” Its.My.Life” magazine published monthly; receive invitations to webinars and personal development topics with expert guest speakers; plus access to our free library of self-discovery resources and more…
See larger image